Monday, July 1, 2024

Shoes on or off inside the house?

I'm very passionate about this topic.
͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­ ͏ ‌     ­
 
Healthline
 
 
Wellness Wire
 
 
In a Nutshell
As soon as I come home, I take off my shoes — and I expect the same from everyone else who walks in my front door. Maybe I'm just a germaphobe, but I can't stand the thought of tracking who knows what onto the same floors where I walk barefoot … then crawl into my bed with germy feet?! Nope, no thanks!
Below, I'll highlight any research on the potential risks and explain why I personally believe this act goes beyond any health concerns.
Foods that may help lower your cancer risk
Dandruff vs. dry scalp: What's the difference?
When is the best time to workout?
Be well,
Morgan Mandriota
Newsletter Editor, Healthline
 
 
  Written by Morgan Mandriota
July 1, 2024 • 3.5 min read
 
 
 
No shoes inside my home, please!
what's got us buzzing
No shoes inside my home, please!
Think of all the places you step into on a weekly basis — grocery stores, the gym, public bathrooms, grass, sidewalks. I don't know about you, but my brain automatically goes to all the random particles of dog poop, pee on restroom floors, and other people's sweat that I definitely don't want in my living room, kitchen, bedroom, or anywhere else in my home.️
Am I being dramatic? Honestly, maybe. But some studies validate my concerns. An older, small 2008 study from the University of Arizona found that E. coli was one of the most common bacteria found on shoe bottoms. Others include C. diff, staph, and pesticides — all of which can cause health issues, like urinary tract infections, colitis, and skin or eye irritation.️️
Sometimes wearing shoes inside is important, though, like for older adults who are at risk of falling. To be safe (and as hygienic as possible), consider buying a pair of shoes solely meant for indoor use.️️
While I personally think shoes inside are gross, there's no proven risk associated with it. More studies are needed, but chances are you probably won't get sick just by walking barefoot on germy floors.️️
However, people who work with animals, in restaurants, or in healthcare settings may come into contact with higher counts of dangerous pathogens. In these cases, taking your shoes off as soon as — or even before — you come inside may be smart to reduce any chance of contamination.️️
Yes, you can (and should) ️clean your floors on a regular basis. But the shoes on or off debate might boil down to principle more than anything else. I believe removing shoes when you walk into a house is a sign of respect, especially in many cultures. For example, shoes off before coming in is a very common practice in many parts of Asia, Eastern Europe, and the Middle East.️
No matter where you live, it may be polite to ask a person whether they prefer shoes on or off in their home. From experience, most people don't care and will let you keep your shoes on! I don't know about you, but I'd like that same courtesy from others. Unlike most people I've asked, my answer will always be "yes, please."️
good vs. bad bacteria
 
 
 
 
 
Based on your interests
Is Pumpkin Good for People with Diabetes?
READ ON  →
  title
 
 
 
 
Great finds
We love organization
 
 
 
Sakugi 3-Tier Shoe Rack
Sakugi 3-Tier Shoe Rack
I recently bought this shoe rack, and I'm very happy with my purchase. I'm terrible at putting things together, but assembly was super easy and took all of maybe 10 minutes. The rack is wide and tall enough to fit hiking boots, sandals, heels, and sneakers. The best part: My entryway isn't clogged with stray shoes all over the place anymore!
SHOP NOW
Every product we recommend has gone through either Healthline's or Optum Store's vetting processes. If you buy through links on this page, we may receive a small commission or other tangible benefit. Healthline has sole editorial control over this newsletter. Potential uses for the products listed here are not health claims made by the manufacturers. Healthline and Optum Store are owned by RVO Health.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
FROM OPTUM PERKS
Save Up to 80% on Your Prescriptions
Save Up to 80% on Your Prescriptions
Pay less for your diabetes medication with Optum Perks' free discount card.* Use it at over 64,000 pharmacies across the United States.
START SAVING  →
*It can not be combined with your health insurance. Healthline and Optum Perks are owned by RVO Health. By using this Optum Perks service, we may receive a tangible benefit.
 
 
 
 
health stories you need
What we're reading next
👄 7 ways to banish chapped lips for good. Tip #5 is especially important right now.
💥 Treatments for chronic pain. This list includes prescription and over-the-counter options.
💊 Vitamins that may help manage psoriasis symptoms. Plus, a list of foods that have high levels.
🔥 These 6 health risks can significantly increase on hot days. Stay safe out there!
 
 
 
 
Thanks for reading! Before you go, we want to know: How do you feel about shoes being worn inside your house? Email wellnesswire@healthline.com to share your thoughts. (Please note that we may use your name and response in an upcoming newsletter!)
 
 
 
 
 
Until next time,
healthline
Take care of yourself, and we'll see you again soon!
 
 
Telegram
This edition was powered by
socks.
 
fb   tiktok   X   youtube   insta
View in browser

Did a friend send you this email? Subscribe here.
To see all newsletters, click here.

Privacy    |    Unsubscribe

Our website services, content, and products are for informational purposes only. Healthline does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment and should not be used as a substitute for medical advice from a healthcare professional. Healthline encourages you to make any treatment decisions with your healthcare professional. Healthline is owned by RVO Health.

© 2024 RVO Health
1101 Red Ventures Drive
Fort Mill, SC 29707
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment