Saturday, November 30, 2019

NPR Music Gives Thanks

Here's what we're thankful for this year.
by Marissa Lorusso and Lyndsey McKenna
DNY59/Getty Images
For this week’s newsletter, in honor of Thanksgiving, we wanted to celebrate the music and musicians that mean the most to us. So we asked our colleagues to share a sentence or two about the songs, performers and moments that have filled them with gratitude this year. Here’s to hoping that your holiday is a respite from the day-to-day and a chance to give thanks with the ones you hold dear.

Pass the stuffing,
Marissa Lorusso & Lyndsey McKenna

Newsletter continues after sponsor message


Bob Boilen, All Songs Considered: I’m watching a video of Tiny Desk Contest winner Gaelynn Lea playing on stage with Wilco — I feel so grateful for this platform that positively alters the lives of musicians and listeners. One moment, Gaelynn Lea is playing violin in her kitchen; now she travels globally, advocates for disability rights and joins Wilco on stage. The world is a better place for it, I think — and I’m humbled and forever grateful.

Ann Powers, critic and correspondent: I’m grateful for the renewed health of Joni Mitchell, who’s returned as a blessed presence in our lives via all those photos of her out and about in her finery.

Tom Huizenga, NPR Classical: A career highpoint, I'm grateful for having interviewed the amazing Jessye Norman, who died suddenly in September.

Zoe Jones, NPR Music intern: I'm grateful for the new Harry Styles album that's coming out very soon!

Cyrena Touros, assistant editor: I am grateful for Sharon Van Etten's primal roar on "Seventeen": It has brought me back to my body many times this year and reminds me that it's possible to respect our younger selves while acknowledging that we are not always the sole masters of change in our lives.

Mano Sundaresan, NPR Music intern: I'm grateful for being able to spin around in my chair to see a Tiny Desk concert every couple days and for the folks here who have made my internship so fulfilling.

Marissa Lorusso, NPR Music & Events: I’m grateful that our 2017 Tiny Desk Contest winner, Tank and the Bangas, was nominated for a Grammy Award for best new artist! The band is full of incredibly talented, kind, hard-working people and it’s an honor to have been part of their journey.

Lyndsey McKenna, assistant editor: Every week, Marissa and I have a standing meeting to write the NPR Music newsletter. For us, it’s a chance to take in everything our team here has worked on for weeks, even months. It’s a joy to take in my colleagues’ knowledge and passion and to deliver that to such engaged and informed readers.

Robin Hilton, All Songs Considered: I'm grateful to be above ground, breathing in the glorious light of humanity before the sun expands and swallows our entire solar system.

Mhari Shaw/NPR
P.S. Need something the whole family can agree on? We suggest Carly Rae Jepsen’s Tiny Desk concert
What do you think of today's email? We'd love to hear your thoughts, questions and feedback: nprmusic@npr.org
Enjoying this newsletter? Forward to a friend! They can sign up here.
Looking for more great content? Check out all of our newsletter offerings — including Books, Pop Culture, Health and more!
Need a new playlist? Follow NPR Music on Spotify and Apple Music!
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
You received this message because you're subscribed to NPR Music emails. This email was sent by National Public Radio, Inc., 1111 North Capitol Street NE, Washington, DC 20002

Unsubscribe  |  Privacy Policy

No comments:

Post a Comment