Sunday, January 7, 2018

It's Not Too Late To Set Health Goals For 2018

A Little Forethought Can Make Resolutions Easier To Keep
Sarinyapinngam/Getty Images/iStockphoto

How To Work With Your Doctor On Healthier Goals

Is it too late to talk about resolutions for the year? Personally, I’d say no. I’m still tweaking a few, including how I’m going to improve upon my workout routine, which was one of my few health successes in 2017.

Eating better remains elusive for me. My colleague Allison Aubrey has declared her goal is to do yoga 20 minutes a day – every day this year!  She has declared the goal and allowed me to put it in the newsletter so that we can all hold her accountable. Go, Allison!
 
I realize more than ever that I need help deciding upon and achieving goals for better health. And I know just where to find it! Shots contributor Dr. John Henning Schumann talked with the author of the book Achieving Your Personal Health Goals about this very subject.

I got ideas for ways to talk to my doctor about what my health goals are and to listen for what’s possible and sensible. The conversation and the ultimate objectives are a kind of “negotiated settlement,” according to Dr. James Mold, who wrote the book.

I’m willing to give it a try. My next goal is to make an appointment.

 
Ryan J. Lane/Getty Images/iStockphoto

Top Fitness Trends For 2018: Back To Basics

So what is everybody else vowing to do? Well, Patti Neighmond reports that a survey of fitness professionals found that the No. 1 trend in fitness is high-intensity interval training. Think short bursts of jumping rope or sprinting, followed by a rest, then repeat. Half an hour and you’re done.

If that approach doesn’t appeal to you, however, you’re not alone. In fact, find your people in a group exercise class, which is the No. 2 trend in the survey. No fancy equipment required. Exercising together beats exercising alone.

 
Jamie Jones/Ikon Images/Getty Images

Practical Advice About Meditation For 'Fidgety Skeptics' 

So much for the body. What about your mind?

Maybe it’s time to try meditation. Even five to 10 minutes a day can make a difference.

Dan Harris, co-author of Meditation for Fidgety Skeptics, told NPR’s Rachel Martin that he think even a minute counts. “The primary insight for beginning meditators is that we are crazy, nuts, insane, that it is a zoo inside of our skulls,” he says. “And when you see that — which you do clearly in meditation — that is a victory.”

How can that be? “Because when you see how absolutely bonkers you are, you have a much better chance of not being owned by the insanity.”

Here’s to your health!

Your Shots editor, Scott Hensley

 
You received this message because you're subscribed to our Health emails.

Unsubscribe  |  Privacy Policy |


NPR
1111 N. CAPITOL ST. NE
WASHINGTON DC 20002
NPR

No comments:

Post a Comment